You Are Here: Home » World News » AsiaPacific » British tourist electrocuted by fridge in Thailand

British tourist electrocuted by fridge in Thailand

A British tourist was electrocuted in Thailand while reaching for a bottle of water from a fridge.

Electrical wiring in Thailand

Wiring in Thailand can look like this!

Friends believe Grant Harrison, 36, had been sunbathing by the pool on the island of Koh Phangan and was killed when he went to get a drink.

The Middlesbrough fan had gone backpacking with his girlfriend after being made redundant for a third time and arrived at the party isle last week.

Grant, from Stokesley, near Middlesbrough, had moved to London a few years ago.

He was a poster on a football messaging site and yesterday more than 300 messages of condolence had been left.

One fan said: “He was relaxing by the pool, decided to go for a bottle of water and it cost him his life.”

Grant was also a regular contributor to the Middlesbrough supporters’ fanzine Fly Me To The Moon and played in annual charity matches.

Fanzine editor Rob Nichols said: “He was a real character. He will be greatly missed.”

A 20-year-old British tourist died in Patong, Thailand, in August last year after he accidentally put his hand on an outdoor, floor-mounted power socket covered with water.
Source: Mirror.co.uk

Note: Household Electricity systems in Thailand are generally not grounded – Beware!
Standards of electrical safety are very poor in Thailand and many houses/businesses, especially in rural areas, do not have an earth connection.

© 2012 A1social.com

Scroll to top